Thursday, May 31, 2012

MetroGnome Goes to Scotland!


WCMS has a new friend, MetroGnome, who loves to travel and recently went to Scotland! Who knew a gnome could look so cute in a kilt?

 “Perhaps you have seen me at WCMS … if not, please come by and say hello!  My name is MetroGnome, and I’m the cute little guy sitting on the windowsill in the Executive Director’s office, looking out into the hallway.  I love helping with lots of things at the School, but when work is done I love to pack my bags and travel!

In February, I had the opportunity to visit Scotland and jumped at the chance.  I was a wee bit nervous because I’d never been on a plane before, but British Airways took good care of me between Boston and Edinburgh, Scotland.  After my arrival, I donned a traditional Scottish kilt and had a nice cup of tea and a shortbread cookie in a tea shop in Edinburgh – I felt like a native! Then it was off to the countryside for some sightseeing.



My first stop outside of Edinburgh was a village called Edzell, which has a 16th century castle (now in ruins) and a beautiful walled garden.  The elaborate garden wall has wonderful carved panels depicting Liberal Arts, Cardinal Virtues, and Planetary Deities.  I looked for the panel for Musica (music), but sadly it has been damaged.  Nevertheless, Edzell Castle is amazing.  It is such an ancient place compared with my home in America!


At one with the sheep!



I also drove through some beautiful farm land and pastures and made friends with the local sheep.  They’re very friendly to gnomes! 








That's me, right there in the center!

The final stop was a castle called Drumtochty, where I attended a traditional Scottish wedding.  When they heard that I was a gnome from overseas, they treated me like a VIP and allowed me to sit on the parapet between the front towers.  It was quite a treat!

I learned that the traditional Scottish bagpipe is the Great Highland Bagpipe, and that bagpipes are woodwind instruments with enclosed reeds.  I’m planning to learn to play this instrument if I can find a REALLY small one.


At the end of my trip, I was sad to leave Scotland but hope that I can return.  “Haste ye back” is what the locals told me!

No comments:

Post a Comment